These cabbage rolls are a savory comfort dish consisting of Cookin’ Greens, brown rice, and lean turkey rolled up in a bundled of slow cooked cabbage leaves. Add a touch of red pepper flakes for a hint of heat.
Cookin’ Greens Rockin’ Cabbage Rolls
- 10 cabbage leaves (approximately)
- 1/2 bag (250g) Cookin’ Greens Chopped Spinach or Chopped Kale
- 1lb lean ground turkey, cooked
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 1/2 cups (625- 680ml) unseasoned strained tomatoes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Separate 10 large cabbage leaves from the head and place in boiling water. Boil until soft (3-5 min). Remove from water and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add strained tomatoes, brown sugar, white vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice. Stir together and heat until sauce is warmed.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and red pepper flakes together. Add onion, salt and pepper. Sauté until onions are soft (about 10 minutes). Add Cookin’ Greens spinach and sauté until spinach is thawed. Add cooked turkey and tomato and blend together. Add half a cup of the prepared tomato sauce (optional).
- Preheat oven to 350 C.
- Take approximately 1/2 cup of the turkey mixture and roll it into the cooked cabbage leaves, folding ends in to create an enclosed roll. Use a toothpick to hold it together if necessary.
- Put a layer of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a large glass baking dish. Place rolls in dish (toothpick side down) and coat with remaining tomato sauce. Bake at 350 C for 1 hour.
- Low Calorie: ** use lean ground turkey and load up on veggies!
- Gluten Free:
- Dairy Free:
Cookin' Greens http://cookingreens.com/