This recipe title, “Caldo Verde” literally translates to Portuguese “Green Soup”… and you know how we feel about greens!
This soup is hearty and savory; you can kick up the spice a notch by adding some chilies or by using a spicy sausage.
Cookin’ Greens Caldo Verde Soup
- 1 bag (500g) of any Cookin’ Greens product, we recommend Cookin’ Greens
- Chopped Kale
- 1 large yellow onion (100-150g) (peeled and diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, 2 tsp (10ml)
- 4 tbsp (60ml) olive oil
- 6 large white potatoes- peeled and cubed
- 8-10 cups (1 L) of cold water
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage - remove any casing, cut into 1/4" slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In large stock/soup pot heat 2 tbsp olive oil, add
- diced onions. Sauté onions until translucent. Add diced potatoes. Continue to stir. Add water, cover and boil gently over moderate heat for 20 to 25 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- For the Sausage: In a separate medium sized fry pan over
- med-high heat, add 1 table spoon olive oil into fry pan. Pan fry
- sausage until cooked through (internal temperature reaches 160 ﾟC), drain excess liquid - remove from fry pan onto paper towel to remove excess fat/liquid, place cooked sausage aside.
- When potatoes are soft, remove soup from heat. Mash potatoes.
- Add sausage, salt, pepper to soup. Return to moderate heat; cover soup pot. Simmer for 5 more minutes on medium-low heat.
- Low Calorie: ** Use less sausage
- Gluten Free: ** Check sausage label to ensure gluten free
- Dairy Free
Cookin' Greens http://cookingreens.com/