Polenta is gluten free cornmeal that can be boiled into porridge, and eaten directly. You can also bake, fry or grill polenta. It’s best cooked and eaten right away as the texture changes upon conserving it.
Try this hearty baked polenta recipe with sausage and Cookin’ Greens Chopped Kale!
Cookin’ Greens Mediterranean Polenta Bake with Kale & Sausage
- 1 bag (500g) of any Cookin’ Greens product, we recommend Cookin’ Greens Athlete’s Mix
- 1 tbsp (15ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 spicy or mild Italian turkey sausages, casings removed
- 6 cups (1.5L) water
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) quick cooking polenta
- 1/2 cup (125ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15ml) butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60ml) crumbled feta
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick skillet set over medium heat; add the sausage meat. Cook, breaking up with a spoon, for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in the Cookin’ Greens product of choice; remove from heat and set aside. Meanwhile, bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. In a slow stream, whisk in polenta.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the Parmesan and butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread half the polenta in a greased 7 x 11-inch casserole dish. Top with half the Cookin’ Greens mixture; repeat layers. Sprinkle feta over the casserole. Bake, at 375F, for 15 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Low Calorie: ** load up on veggies, limit the cheese & use lean sausages!
- Gluten Free:
- Dairy Free: ** Use a dairy-free cheese or remove cheese and add more veggies, season with herbs if desired!
Cookin' Greens http://cookingreens.com/