Pearl barley is a whole grain that taste great in salads and soups. In this dish, we added mediterranean ingredients – tomatoes, our Chopped Spinach, a medley of coloured peppers and feta for a meal option that is healthy and delicious but more filling and satisfying then a green salad.
Cookin' Greens Mediterranean Pearl Barley Salad
- 1 cup (100g) Cookin' Greens Chopped Spinach
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) pearl barley
- 1/4 cup sun - dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped and seeded
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 each of red and yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of balsamic vinaigrette (1/4 c. olive oil, 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp Dijon mustard)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) feta cheese , crumbled
- 1/4 cup (60ml) toasted pine nuts, toasted and optional
- Bring stock to a boil in a sauce pan. Slowly pour in barley, cover pan, lower heat and simmer about 30 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Fluff grains and cool in a large bowl.
- Cook Cookin' Greens until heated through and tender
- Chop sundried tomatoes and add to the cooled barley along with fresh tomatoes, green onions, peppers, oregano and half the parsley
- Before serving, toss with half the dressing. Taste and add more dressing if needed. Add the feta, pine nuts and rest of parsley.
- Low Calorie
- Dairy Free : Remove cheese, load up on veggies and add herbs if desired
Cookin' Greens http://cookingreens.com/