During the summer months we abandon our kitchens and head outside to cook just about everything on the BBQ- even pizza? Yes- especially pizza!
Throw this pizza directly onto the BBQ for some summer time eats- topped with sausage, our greens and cheese. Make a calzone by filling 1-half of your pizza with toppings and stretching the dough up and over the filling, pressing down to secure.
Cookin' Greens Grilled Sausage & Greens Pizza
- 3 cups (720 mL) Cookin’ Greens Chopped Kale or Spinach
- 1 pizza dough ball, divided into 4
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) crushed garlic
- 12 grape or cherry tomatoes cut in half
- ¼ cup (60 mL) basil pesto
- 4 oz (113 g) cooked Italian sausage, cut in slices
- 4 oz (113 g) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) shredded Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt to taste
- Replace the pesto with pizza sauce; sausage with cooked chicken breast strips or bacon or shrimp; the tomatoes with red pepper strips or mushrooms; Mozzarella cheese with
- Cheddar, Provolone, Feta or any other favourite cheese blend.
- Place dough pieces on oiled tray and cover with clear wrap. Let dough rise at room temperature until double in size.
- Roll out or stretch each piece of dough to about ¼” of thickness. Return to oiled tray to transfer to barbecue.
- Heat barbecue to medium. Place dough directly on grill and cook for 2 minutes per side to make grill marks and to set the crust. Remove from grill and set aside while you prepare the toppings. Combine olive oil, garlic, Cookin’ Greens, and salt. Spread 1 tbsp (15 ml) pesto over each pizza crust; top with ¾ cup (180 mL) greens mixture, 1 oz (28.4 g) cooked sausage rings and 6 tomato halves. Then add the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Heat one side of the BBQ to high and leave one side off. Place the topped pizza directly on the grill of the “off” side and close the lid.
- Bake until the vegetables are cooked, the dough is lightly browned and the cheese has melted, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Low Calorie: ** Use chicken instead or make it a veggie pizza, use less cheese and load up on veggies
- Gluten Free: ** Use a gluten free dough
- Dairy Free: ** Use a dairy-free cheese or remove cheese and add more veggies, season with herbs if desired!
- Vegetarian: ** Remove sausage
COOKIN' GREENS http://cookingreens.com/