The secretly healthy Cookin’ Greens Double Chocolate Cookie Sandwich recipe is super-quick (9-minute baking time), but also the prep time is made a breeze with Cookin’ Greens pre-washed and pre-chopped greens. These chocolate cookies will initially be more cake-like. Once in sandwich form, with the luscious chilled vanilla icing, it’s like sinking your teeth into a soft pillow.
Cookin' Greens Double Chocolate Cookie Sandwhiches
- 1 cup (100g) Cookin’ Greens Chopped Kale or Chopped Spinach
- 1 cup (250ml) all-purpose gluten free flour
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (dark chocolate preferable)
- 2/3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp (30ml) coconut oil
- 1 tbsp (15ml) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15ml) agave
- ½ cup (125ml) apple sauce
- 1 “oil egg” (2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp olive oil + 2tsp baking powder)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut oil, room temperature
- 3 cups (750ml) confectioner’s sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F
- Place coconut oil in mixing bowl and use beaters and beat out the lumps until smooth
- Place Cookin’ Greens Chopped Kale or Spinach in a food processor and pulse until finely shredded
- Add kale, baking powder, apple sauce, agave, maple syrup, and “oil egg” to the coconut oil and combine well with mixing spoon
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, xantham gum, and cocoa powder
- Add liquid mixture until dry mixture and combine well
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Divide batter into 12 lumps on a cookie sheet and bake for 9 minutes.
- After cookies have cooled, spoon equal portions of icing in between two cookies to form a sandwich.
- Serve right away to avoid coconut oil separation, or place in fridge.
- ** For the icing: Beat the coconut oil until lump-free. Add the confectioner’s sugar and vanilla and beat until completely combined and whipped.
- Gluten Free : Use gluten free flour
- Dairy Free
Adapted from Bryn
Cookin' Greens http://cookingreens.com/