The dish is fragrant and creamy! Our Chopped Kale is superb seasoned with cumin, coconut oil, mustard seeds and garlic. Makes for a great ethnic side dish with naan bread or a main dish if you pair it with some basmati rice and chickpeas! This dish is fit for a dragon…
Cookin' Greens Chopped Kale with Coconut and Spices
- 1 bag (500g) Cookin’ Greens Chopped Kale
- 1/2 cup (125ml) hot unsalted or low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp (30ml) coconut or unscented oil (grapeseed, canola, vegetable)
- 1 tsp (5ml) whole cumin seeds
- 1 tsp (5ml) mustard seeds
- 1 hot green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, 4 tsp, (20ml) finely sliced
- 3 tbsp (45ml) fresh grated coconut
- Salt, pepper and red chilli flakes to taste
- 1 - 2 tbsp (15-30ml) coconut or unscented oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed but left whole
- 2 long, dried red chillies
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. When hot, add cumin, mustard seeds, and chilli flakes. Stir together, until the cumin starts to sizzle and mustard seeds pop (about 30 seconds).
- Add sliced garlic and green chilli (if using) and sauté for an additional 30 seconds, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add frozen Cookin’ Greens Chopped Kale to the pan, stir well. Add the hot vegetable stock. Cook for about 5 - 7 minutes, until the kale is tender and the stock evaporated. Season generously with the sea salt and black pepper.
- Take off the heat and stir in the grated coconut.
- To make the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan. When oil is hot, add garlic and red chilli. Sauté for about 30 seconds, until chillies darken and garlic is beginning to brown.
- Pour over the kale, and cover immediately with a lid to trap the aromas. Just before serving, stir together well.
- Gluten Free
- Low Calorie
- Dairy Free
Adapted from by Tiffin Box for Bruce Coxon
Cookin' Greens http://cookingreens.com/