A moist spiced cake with carrot cake as the base and hidden greens for added nutrition- your kids will get a kick out of the green colored frosting… and you’ll get a kick out of the fact that they are eating fresh frozen greens and don’t even know it!
Cookin’ Greens Carrot Pumpkin Cake with Greens Infused Frosting
- 1 cup (100g) steamed Cookin’ Greens Chopped Kale or Chopped Spinach
- 1 box carrot cake mix (any brand)
- 1 cup (250ml) canned pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup water plus 2 tsp water (70ml)
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup (250ml) light sour cream or vanilla yogurt
- Greens Infused Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup (50g) cooked, cooled and pureed Cookin’ Greens Chopped Kale or Chopped Spinach
- 1 package (8oz) light cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick, 60ml) butter, at room temperature
- 2 ½ cups (750ml) icing sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- For the Cake: Preheat oven to 350ﾟ F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, or spray thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Steam or microwave Cookin’ Greens according to package directions. Puree in food processor with 2 tsp of water. Allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, 1 cup cooled Cookin’ Greens, pumpkin puree, water, oil, eggs, egg white, and sour cream. Beat until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted, about 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool, and remove cake carefully from loaf pan. If you plan to frost it, slice cake horizontally and add Cookin’ Greens infused cream cheese frosting between layers
- For Frosting: Place the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on medium speed until combined (1 minute).
- Add pureed Cookin’ Greens and mix for another 30 seconds to incorporate greens in batch.
- Stop the mixer and slowly add the icing sugar and vanilla. Mix on low speed until all sugar is incorporated.
- Increase speed to medium for another minute to ensure frosting is fluffy.
- Add frosting between cake layers and use to cover entire cake.
- Low Calorie: ** Skip the icing
- Dairy Free: Skip the icing or make your own dairy-free icing
Adapted from Wendy Weizel
Cookin' Greens https://cookingreens.com/